Home strategies for making personal housing decisions from a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
What you’ll learn
- How to make the home, rent vs buy, decision
- Process for selecting an apartment
- How to analyze a lease agreement
- Steps for purchasing a home
- How to buy a home remotely
- How to finance a first time home
- How to apply for a mortgage loan
- Describe the escrow process
- Explain the difference between a loan officer and mortgage broker
- List and describe warranties
- Perform a loan estimate
- Explain the home appraisal process
- Define title and explain why it is important
- Explain FHA Single Family Title II
- Describe mortgage points and how to make decisions related to them
- Describe Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM)
- Explain what a second mortgage is and when it would be useful
The course will focus on personal housing decisions.
The course will discuss how to approach the decision of purchasing or renting a home, which can be very complex given the long-term investment nature of a home purchase, the high cost relative to other expenses, and the different time frames between renting and purchasing.
We will discuss decisions related to renting, like selecting an apartment and analyzing the lease agreement.
Learners will understand concepts related to the home purchasing process. We will discuss the options for buying a home remotely, the importance of an inspection, the time frame to buy a home, and home buying apps that can be useful in the home buying process.
The course will also cover financing basics for first-time homebuyers, how to apply for a mortgage, what a mortgage clause is, and describe the escrow process.
We will compare a loan officer and a mortgage broker. Learners will understand different loan characteristics and much more.
The course will also have practice problems, including downloadable Excel Workbooks, which users may also open using Google Sheets.
The Excel Workbooks will generally have at least two tabs. One tab will have the answer key so learners can deconstruct the problem. The second tab is where we work the practice problem step-by-step along with the instructional videos.
Who this course is for:
- Personal financial advisors
- Real estate professionals