Learn personal finance strategies for medical and disability insurance from a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
What you’ll learn
- Define health insurance
- Define and describe group health insurance
- Describe the Affordable Care Act (ACA) as it relates to health care
- Define and discuss private heath insurance
- Define and describe Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Explain what a Point-of Service (POS) plan is
- Define what a High-Deductible Health Plan is and when it may be useful
- Define and explain what coinsurance, copays, and deductibles
- Describe preexisting conditions and how they relate to health insurance
- Explain the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- Describe dental and vision insurance
- Define Long-Term Care (LTC) insurance
- Describe Medicare and Medicate government programs
- Explain Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Describe disability income insurance
This course will cover personal finance decisions related to medical and disability insurance.
We will describe health insurance and compare it to other kinds of insurance, noting areas where health insurance can be more complex.
Learners will understand what group health insurance is and its benefits. We will discuss the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the legislation’s impact on health insurance.
The course will cover private health insurance, health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations (PPOs), and point-of-service (POS) plans.
We will also define high deductible health plans and discuss when they may be appropriate.
The course will break down the concepts of coinsurance, copays, deductibles, preexisting conditions, and health insurance costs.
We will consider options for purchasing health care, discuss different insurance companies, and consider the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).
Learners will also understand dental and vision insurance and how they relate to an overall health insurance risk mitigation and health maintenance strategy.
The course will define long-term care (LTC) and consider its use in an overall health care strategy.
We will discuss Medicare and Medicaid and how these government programs fit into the health insurance landscape as we age.
Learners will also understand how disability insurance works and how to use it as part of an overall personal risk medication strategy.
We will also have practice problems, including downloadable Excel Workbooks, which users may also open using Google Sheets.
The Excel Workbooks will generally have at least two tabs. One tab will have the answer key so learners can deconstruct the problem. The second tab is where we work the practice problem step-by-step along with the instructional videos.
Who this course is for:
- Personal financial planners